Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Author Spotlight: Danita Minnis


Today's author spotlight shines on Danita Minnis, author of LOVE ENTWINED and FALCON's ANGEL.
 
How did you choose your genre? What made you write this book?
I began writing my new novel Love Entwined before I was aware of its genre. In those early days of the story brewing in my mind, I only knew that I wanted to read a romance with an ancient mystery attached to it, preferably something to do with reincarnation, which fascinates me. I came away with a contemporary paranormal romance with a bit of historical in it and healthy portions of horror.

Writers write what they know, and must observe the world. Are you a first born, middle or last child and how does this shape your view of the world? Being the ‘baby’ of the family was very enlightening. With four older sisters, there was much to absorb in various stages of our lives. As children often do, you revisit conversations, things that happened when you really weren’t paying attention. When you’re older, these things come back to you and sort of click into place, maybe answering a question you’ve always had or confirming a stance. It has turned out to be a constant education, these little lessons of the past, and being a contemplative individual I am really grateful for them.

Where is your favorite place to write?
Besides writing in a hammock surrounded by a beautiful garden (which I’m determined to have one day), I love to write in a quiet corner of my busy living room. I must have some sort of background noise around me, whether it’s an old mystery movie on the TV or the dog playing nearby with his ball. Those mundane things are very soothing to me.

How do you feel about killing your darlings, and what do you do with the remains?
I’m ruthless. J I kill my darlings all the time. If a character’s story doesn’t work with my ultimate goal, they’re gone. Sometimes I write to the end of the story and when I get there if I don’t like what I read, character assassination begins. Sometimes it is character enhancement. If you love a character in one of my stories know that they will meet harm at some point because I love shock value. I’ve always enjoyed a story that takes me someplace I had no idea where it was going.

You are introduced to your favorite author. Who is it, and what is that one burning question you must ask them?
I have many favorite authors but since I’ve been reading a lot of Anne Rice lately, I’ll go with her. I would ask Ms. Rice what was her inspiration for creating the Vampire Lestat, what started it all?

Inquiring minds want to know…tell readers something about you that no one knows.
I would hate to be in a dark, windowless room, devoid of sights and sounds. With my imagination, I’d probably scare myself to death.

You are stranded on a deserted island with only a back pack for company. What three items are in your survival pack?
My cell phone, laptop and British model David Gandy! Wait, he’s not an item. I guess my last item would have to be David’s latest magazine cover spread. When I’m not writing, I’d be ooohing and aahing. J

If you could have one super power in your existence, what would it be? The power to root out evil in a person, just lay hands on them and take it away! I’d travel all around the world and touch millions of people. I’d be known as the Evil Undoer.

Favorite snack?
Egg Nog – tis the season!

Indy 500 - Do you know how to get where you’re going or do you drive the speed limit? I definitely know how to get where I’m going although I’ve been good lately. My son just received his driving permit, have to be an example now. J


Love Entwined Blurb

Run, little witch…

Amelie Laurent is on her way to the top of the jewelry designing world with no time for men. Her orderly life is about to come undone when jewelry tycoon Roman Cardiff steals her away on assignment to a remote English estate. Roman wants Amelie all to himself but St. Clair Manor’s resident ghost has been waiting for her much longer than he has.

Run home…

An unseen gunman takes a shot at Roman and he blames a business rival. But Amelie and Roman are to blame, for falling in love 200 years before in a time neither of them remember.
From the heartbreak of pre-Revolutionary France to modern day corporate wars, Amelie and Roman uncover a history of blood jewels, lust and demons. 

Good witch, bad witch, you must decide…

When Amelie discovers her inner witch she learns the real reason she was summoned to St. Clair Manor. Il Dragone will kill to get her back. Amelie will kill if they do.


Excerpt

Mr. Cardiff’s eyes burned into hers. There wasn’t anything angelic about them now. She felt naked. Focus. He was saying something.

“…and I would like you to work on the designs.”

“Me?” She asked. Breathe. She fought to regain her equilibrium. It wasn’t working.

“Yes and the timing is perfect, now that you’re no longer working on that other project.” With a smug smile, Harold came out from behind his desk to stand between them.

She needed some breathing room and stepped away from Mr. Cardiff. She was still close enough to hear him chuckle under his breath.

He frowned at him. Was he making fun of her? No, what she read in his eyes was a challenge.

He gave her a repentant grin.

Maybe it was three months of pent up anger at being—for lack of a better word—manipulated in her home. Or, maybe it was three months of the best sex—real or imagined—she’d ever had in her life with a phantom who chose to introduce himself at this very inconvenient time when she was trying to quit her exhausting job. It was also just as likely the fact that her warm and generous dream lover was actually a pampered and conceited heir who probably had more woman than the time required to service them.
Whatever the reason, she had reached her limit.

Amelie faced Mr. Cardiff. Folding her arms, she acknowledged what had passed between them and accepted his dare. “It would be my pleasure.”

Harold gave her an odd look and guided her to the divan as if she needed some guidance, which only served to irk her more. “You will be in good hands with Amelie. Did you know that she was lead designer behind Bijou’s Artisan Collection?”

“I had no idea.” There was a slight edge to Mr. Cardiff’s tone, but it was nothing compared to the arrogance that frosted his eyes. “And how is our old friend Garamonde?”

Was it possible to hate someone at first sight?

“Still old, I suppose.”

Harold coughed, and she refused to look at him. She would stare Mr. Cardiff down until closing time, if need be.

As quickly as his eyes had frosted, they warmed up again with amusement.

She could not quell the sinking feeling she had lost control of the situation. She suspected it had never been in her possession in the first place. But now that the fateful words of acceptance were out of her mouth, the wind went out of her sails.

Mr. Cardiff smiled as smoothly as he had just engineered this desired outcome. He sat down on the other end of the sofa and stretched long, muscular legs out. They nearly reached the desk Harold leaned against. A swimmer’s physique, she thought, and then shut that errant thought down as quickly as it had surfaced.      
“Excellent,” he said. “When will you be ready to leave for St. Clair Manor?”

“Mr. Cardiff, this is highly irregular. I cannot be contracted out…” She looked at Harold.

He shrugged.

She schooled her voice back to a modicum of professionalism.

“Mr. Cardiff, we have everything we need here at Penrod’s to do the job. I can forward the sketches to you in just a few weeks’ time.”

Harold cleared his throat and belatedly, she realized what he was going to say.

“Actually, Amelie, we are also contracted for a refurbishment project.”

Merde, it would take months.

She had gone from the verge of resigning her position to yet another commitment, to him, no less.

Still, she had been cornered by powerful men before. Men who were born with advantage in the corporate sector. Men who obtained everything they wanted and many things they didn’t, without even trying.

Some men, she snorted inwardly, don’t deserve the women they have. Or had. But she’d promised herself she would not think about Emil Garamonde anymore. As much as it hurt to know she’d lost control with Emil, she had finally convinced herself that what happened between them was a normal, human mistake.   
It was ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. And, oh, how she’d learned. She would never let her guard down again.

Mr. Cardiff’s good looks hardened her resolve. She tried again to dissuade him from this kidnapping Harold was consenting to because this time she wanted to win. She put cold steel in her voice.

“Another few weeks, and the jewels will be safe here in our vault while I work on them.”

His chiding chuckle said they were both aware he had her. It made her feel chastened, but it also made her legs weak with an unwelcome tremor of desire.

The handsome devil had dimples to boot.

“Ms. Laurent, I am afraid that is impossible. The Cardiff collection never leaves St. Clair Manor. I’m sure you will find our facilities more than adequate. As for the sketches, I will need to work closely with you on concepts.” His eyes raked her form again. “I am very hands-on.”

Her legs did give way then. She sat down on the divan. How could I have ever thought his smile was angelic?

Bio

Danita Minnis grew up singing and once thought she would do that all her life. She soon found writing just as fulfilling and writes paranormal romance. She loves mystery, mysticism, the fantastic and the fey. She has published The Cardiff Novels, a series about one family’s trials with vengeful demons, a legacy of ghosts and mysterious blood jewels. She is currently working on the third novel in the Cardiff series, which introduces the Cardiffs’ connection to ancient vampires.

Danita is a member of Romance Writers of America. She is a lover of chocolate, a good, scary movie, kittens and pubs--especially Siberian Huskies. When she is not writing, she exercises her lungs at her son's soccer matches and their favorite theme park, because everyone knows it's easier on the stomach to scream your way down a roller coaster.


Links
Facebook Cardiff Novels Page: https://www.facebook.com/DanitaMinnis?ref=hl


The Cardiff Novels
Love Entwined, A Cardiff Novel Book 2 Amazon   Amazon.ca
Amazon UK
Falcon’s Angel, A Cardiff Novel Book 1 Amazon   Amazon.ca   Amazon UK

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on today Nina! I love doing interviews and am so excited to share Love Entwined with your readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your interview and the excerpt. You chose a wonderful superpower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thanks, I wish it could come true. :)

      Delete

Writing smexy paranormals with a Celtic twist. Blogging about good books.