Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Romance Weekly: Favorite Holiday Recipe

This week, our assignment is to post a favorite holiday recipe. In my house, it's not Christmas until I make a batch of traditional Scottish shortbread. I prefer the most basic recipe. Here it is:

1 lb. butter (the real deal)
1 full cup sugar (granulated or powdered, depending on your preference--if using powdered, check the quantities on substitution)
3.5 cups all-purpose white flour

Cream butter and sugar. Then add 3 and 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time.

Mix well and knead thoroughly. Add more flour if needed. The more you knead, the tastier the shortbread will be.

The easiest way is to simply pat the dough into a round, square, or oblong pan (don't grease the pan; the dough is oily enough), prick with a fork all the through, bake, and cut into pieces after its cooled. I prefer to make individual cookies, so I roll out the dough on a floured surface, cut it into small circles or hearts, and prick with the fork. This year, though, I'm going to use the shortbread cookie press my husband gave me last Christmas to imprint a design into the tops of the cookies.

If you like thicker shortbread, use an 8 x 8--just watch that the bottom doesn't brown. If you like it a little thinner, an 11 x 7.5 x 1.5 (deep) is ideal.

Bake in 300 degree oven for 45-60 minutes--but don't let shortbread get brown on top.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see what the other romance writers in the circle had posted. J. J. Devine is the next link in the chain. Here's her blog address: http://definingjjdevine.weebly.com/ramblings-of-a-writer

Don't miss the Romance Weekly Stocking Stuffer Event, which starts at noon today on Facebook. Great authors and awesome giveaways all day long. I'll be hosting at 6 p.m. EST. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/755193317849577/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Happy holidays everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! A real Scottish Shortbread recipe and not easy to find

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat, Scottish shortbread! My family will love this recipe! Thank you and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! And easy, too! Thanks for sharing how to make this; I didn't know it was that easy!

    ReplyDelete

Writing smexy paranormals with a Celtic twist. Blogging about good books.